Not fake but misrepresented on ebay

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
zp4ja

Not fake but misrepresented on ebay

Post by zp4ja »

Does a authentic knife that is misrepresented in an auction description to possibly sell for more irritate anyone besides me?
Look at the description below for this 1971' CASE 5111-1/2L Cheetah. I spoke with the seller (a member here) and confirmed that the knife was in fact a 1971' Large Stamp Cheetah.

His response...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info.
Yes, I figured it was the 1971 Cheetah. I knew it was not the big buck 1970 prototype as the tangs were stamped and I have learned from the gurus at AAPK that the rare 1970 proto was not stamped. That and the fact that the price guides on AAPK only list the 1970 proto and the 1971 Cheetah then it must be the 1971.
I tried to indicate in the auction listing that it must be the 1971. Like I said, you can't see all of the dots and it was part of the 1973 stag set.
Sorry for the confusion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yet still 4 references to "10 dot", 6 references to 1970' and only one reference to 1971' way down in the auction description. Whether or not an asterisk is used after the 1970' and 10 dot reference, just seems wrong to me to advertise a knife as something worth 10 times more than the one you are actually selling and you are fully aware of it. Based on the price of the knife, 10 times value is a large chunk of cash. It is a beautiful 71' Cheetah, just not clearly represented in the description as such.

Jerry

Here is the auction title and description...

Vintage Case XX 1970 10-Dot Stag #5111-1/2L SSP Cheetah ***NR***

Vintage Case XX 1970 10-Dot Stag #5111-1/2L SSP Cheetah ***NR***

Case XX U.S.A.

# 5111-1/2L SSP Cheetah Pocket Knife

1970 10-Dot (?)* Stainless

Beautiful Matched Stag Handles

Near New Case #5111-1/2L Stag Handled Cheetah

Nice Vintage Case Old School Quality

Knife is in excellent condition

NO Box included

Mint/Near-Mint

I know how fussy Case Knife Collectors are but if this knife

Is not Mint, it is as close as one can get

Close inspection shows NO cracks or warps on Stag Handles

The locking blade is Pristine Mint with the original

Bright mirror finish and the Cheetah etching

Master blade does show faint vertical scratches from opening/closing

Nickel Silver Bolsters show faint scratches from handling

Pictures are of the actual knife - WYSIWYG

Never Used, Carried or Sharpened

Made in the U.S.A. by Case

Razor Sharp Master Blade is 3 1/2 inches with swinging guard

This knife up for auction is a fantastic Case knife, a 1970* issue Genuine Stag Cheetah 4 3/8” closed, with nickel silver bolsters and the pinned encircled Case oval shield. The master blade is stamped with Case XX USA with 10 Dots*, dating this as a 1970* issue Case knife, while the rear tang of this blade is pattern stamped with 5111-1/2 L. This 1970* issue Case Cheetah features nice original Genuine Stag (deer stag) scales and the single locking blade has great "walk and talk" snap.

* All of the dots are NOT visible no matter how the blade and its guard are rotated. I know for a fact that its is NOT the rare 1970 Prototype as the tangs are stamped! The knife came as part of the 1973 Stag Set so I am assuming it is the 1971 Cheetah. I will try and answer any questions/concerns you might have. Sorry for the poor quality pictures but they are the best I can provide.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
tjmurphy

Re: Not fake but misrepresented on ebay

Post by tjmurphy »

I think I remember the thread where that knife was discussed.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
basser5

Re: Not fake but misrepresented on ebay

Post by basser5 »

con·tra·dic·tion........... a proposition, statement, or phrase that asserts or implies both the truth and falsity of something.

de·ceit.....................dishonest behavior : behavior that is meant to fool or trick someone.

::barf::
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”