Remington Leg Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Remington Leg Knife

Post by btrwtr »

Seller forgets to mention knife is a Japanese import fantasy Remington. Fantasy because Remington never made a 5" closed length leg knife. Advertised in "Vintage pre-1970" although it certainly is not. Handles are a modern lucite type cover over a thin patterned sheet, not celluloid or what Remington called "Pyremite".

In the 1980's hundreds if not thousands of leg knives from Japan were imported with Remington and Winchester tang stamps and blade etches. Knives in both the small 3 1/4" closed and large 5" closed size like this knife. They still show up regularly on the market and people are still selling and buying them as legitimate pre-1941 knives. Some of these knives did have "Japan" very lightly etched on the pile side of the blade but the etching was so light it could very easily be removed.

The five inch knives all looked exactly like this with exception of markings and handle material so take a good look. The blade style is the most telling and readily recognizable feature of the 5" knives.

Handle colors used included this red handle as well as blue or gold with black checker, a green or blue candy stripe. A flag type pattern was also on the 3 1/4" knives.

Here is your chance to buy one from the famed eugenehundleyllc "Stidham" vendor. ::td::

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REMINGT ... 2a3c6ea789

Wayne
Attachments
remleg1.JPG
remleg2.jpg
remleg3.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
MrBlister

Re: Remington Leg Knife

Post by MrBlister »

Hey Wayne... or any REM whale swimmin by.....
Is this'n a fake chinaman or worse.. from Washington.. :lol:
Ima thinkin its the real ole deal...
Just one more nugget from the Dutchman mine..
Thanks in advance . .. Dave
Attachments
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Remington leg and match striker pull is a bad combination for that knife. Never seen that type of celluloid handle on a R15 leg knife either. Doesn't look good to me Dave. Re-bladed European leg knife I'd say. Is there any trace of a pattern # on the pile side tang? What's the closed length? Probably an original Remington blade from a stock knife.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

3 1/4" . .. . ...
NO trace of pattern num....
uh oh

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”