Neft Safety Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Neft Safety Knife

Post by btrwtr »

Does anyone see anything wrong with this knife? Take a close look, comments welcome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-19 ... 43cc2fefc3

Wayne
Attachments
neft1.JPG
neft2.jpg
neft3.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tjmurphy

Re: Neft Safety Knife

Post by tjmurphy »

All the rest on ebay show a long pull. Replaced blade??
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Looks to me as though there has been some crudely done work at the handle pins on the shield side. Maybe the handles had pulled away from the pins, but I think those pins are either replacements or were re-peened and sanded or buffed and those marks are evident on the handle material.

Whoever did that also buffed the opposite bolsters and scuffed up the smooth, shiny handle material there as well.

Knife might be totally legit, but it's been repaired.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

TJ & Charlie,

I'd say yes to both replies.

Some crude work/filing of some type done on the handles.

I've yet to see a Neft that didn't have a match striker long pull. I can't see any of the normal stamping on the blade tang so it's most likely not there and a replacement blade not marked. Blade profile taper to the tip doesn't look right either.

The fact the the knife doesn't close isn't a good sign either.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I don`t see too much wrong with it except the blade may be a replacement.

The early model of these knives looked similar but were crude compared to this later version. The first model had smooth wood handles and a rectangular sliding shield. The blade was unmarked on the tang. This could be an early left over blade from a prototype or it could be a replacement that someone made. The early blade did have a long pull however it was not a match striker pull, the nail nick on this one is suspicious but anything is possible.

As far as the handle is concerned I don`t believe it has been re-pinned, so many times these knives fall into the hands of a person who does not know how to open them, they try prying it open with a screwdriver, think the thumb rest is how you open it and break that off!, etc. ::doh:: What I am seeing from these poor pictures is it looks like someone was trying to open it and scratched it all up on the bolster and handle.

The pin that secures the blade closed is out of rotation so that the reduced portion of the pin is not in alignment with the locking slot. This is why the blade does not stay closed, so either someone changed the blade and did not align it properly or if the blade was made as a replacement it was not the right thickness and when tightened down the pin is in the wrong position.

It is still a good parts knife for the money compared to what this one brought($190.00) in the condition it was in, it is missing the front bolster, thumb rest, bail and the blade is heavily worn:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-NE ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
neft safety.jpg
neft safety2.jpg
neft safety 3.jpg
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”