Ulster Knife Co. - Official Boy Scout

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ulster Knife Co. - Official Boy Scout

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not a Scout collector. I know little to nothing re' the subject matter of this thread.

But, during WWII Robeson did not put shields on their knives. They used black composition pressure molded handles with an impressed "ROBESON" in place of the shield and filled it with white paint for contrast.

I have no idea what the military uses for the components of nickel-silver might have been, but evidently, it was not readily available during the war.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
642088.JPG
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I have no idea what the military uses for the components of nickel-silver might have been, but evidently, it was not readily available during the war.
During WW II Nickel was highly valued for use in armor plating in tanks and submarines for example. It was also used in the development of jet engines, Nickel was used as a strengthening agent to create new alloys.

In fact congress ordered the removal of nickle from the five-cent piece on October 8, 1942. From 1942 till the end of 1945, five-cent pieces were minted from an alloy of copper, silver and manganese.

Even after the war the need for stress and temperature resistance prompted the use of nickel alloys in the growing space race.
AAPK Janitor
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Thanks Dimitri.
That explains the presence of iron bolsters on knives whose pattern number calls for nickel-silver.
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

What about this g.s. knife. Is this tang Stamp correct?

Thanks in advance
JamesG
Attachments
20190921_131023.jpg
20190921_131228.jpg
20190921_131116.jpg
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

J.Gilmer ::handshake::
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Here is the entire knife
Attachments
20190921_131601.jpg
20190921_131611.jpg
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

"Right as rain!". According to Goins' Encyclopedia, from 1876 until his death in 1933 Ulster was owned by Dwight Divine. At some point during that time his name was stamped on Ulster knives. His sons owned the company for several years after his death. I'm not sure when that period was when the Dwight Divine stamp was used but someone here probably knows. Ulster was a prolific maker of official scout knives so it's not uncommon to see that stamping on scout patterns, but you'll find them stamped with just Ulster also.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Thanks Ken! I certainly appreciate that info my friend. I get my Goins E Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait. I've developed a much deeper appreciation for Pocket knives over the last 4-6 months.
Thanks again
JamesG

Andy w

Post by Andy w »

Looks like not everyone with knowledge of knives was on aapk BECAUSE one of em was busy on ebay getting a good deal on a SCOUT KNIFE that people thought was fake!!! Good buy buddy 😂😂😂
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Thanks Andy

rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

I submit for review another example of the Ulster Boy Scout knife that had a very interesting discussion back in 2014. There does appear to be some differences in that my knife has steel liners, steel spacer and steel pins. My knife has been lightly used and is very tight on all blades. If my knife is authentic the finish is not of the same quality as most of the other Ulster Boy Scout knives I own. I think the finish on the screw driver/bottle opener and the can opener are not of the same quality as others of the same period.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
UBR01BR-1.JPG
UBR01BR-2.JPG
UBR01BR-3.JPG
UBR01BR-4.JPG
UBR01BR-5.JPG
UBR01BR-6.JPG
UBR01BR-7.JPG
David
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Your knife is a WWII or just post of that time period .
The scouts needed something for this time period .
Quality is definitely not the same as pre WWII ulsters .
I have several examples of your knife and even one with the Girl Scout etch .

Mike

rustyoldknife wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:31 am I submit for review another example of the Ulster Boy Scout knife that had a very interesting discussion back in 2014. There does appear to be some differences in that my knife has steel liners, steel spacer and steel pins. My knife has been lightly used and is very tight on all blades. If my knife is authentic the finish is not of the same quality as most of the other Ulster Boy Scout knives I own. I think the finish on the screw driver/bottle opener and the can opener are not of the same quality as others of the same period.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Mike, Thank you for the reassurance that my knife maybe authentic,
I am an admirer of the many posts you have shared of your extensive scout collection.
David
David

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”