Cat ?????

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Cat ?????

Post by galvanic1882 »

Any thoughts on this one? I think it has been reworked, the bone does not look like any Cattaraugus bone I have ever seen? Can't believe it has so many bids already. What am I missing???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380877807386?ss ... 1423.l2649
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Cat ?????

Post by Colonel26 »

I know less than nothing about Catts. But to me the scales, pins, and bolsters look a lot newer than the blades.

I could very well be wrong though.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

I really don't get it with this knife it's up to 325 all ready!!!! Yes those were my thoughts about the knife also!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I beleive its authentic but a later Catt made in the 1930's to 40's. I am stunned at the price though for a small knife like that.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The bone looks suspect to me too ::hmm:: .If it was right I would think less than $100.Some knucklehead bid 39 times ::uc::
Roger
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Steve, have you ever seen bone like that on a Cat of that era?
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

galvanic1882 wrote:Steve, have you ever seen bone like that on a Cat of that era?
Yes a number of times. I have a swell center moose in my collection with similar bone - someone posted recently on AAPK about one just like it.

I think these are later knives because they lack the impressive grinds/fit/finish of the older ones in addition to the bone that more resembles Rogers bone.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks, still think the knife is not right.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

galvanic1882 wrote:Thanks, still think the knife is not right.

You may be right...but the basic knife - blades, frame, shield..looks real to me. The handles do look to have too much of a "new green" color...may just be the photos. I dont have mine handy or I would take some photos.

Its one I would have to se ein person.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That's exactly what I was thinking about the bone. The color, especially in the lighter areas just looks too new. Maybe it's the photos though.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Here's a picture.
Attachments
Cat.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

To me it looks like the blades have been cleaned up a bit with a buffer. I also think the handles are replacements.

The high bid has dropped all the way down to $71. Someone must've realized how insane the price was and canceled their bid.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Shill bidder?
Robert E. Lee
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Colonel26 wrote:Shill bidder?
Maybe, but I wouldn't think the price would fall so dramatically. Shill bidders usually only cancel their last bid and only when it surpasses a buyer's high bid.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The cancelled bid was for this amount, US $11,096.00.

The bidder has a feedback rating over 1100, so he's not a kid or novice bidder.

Maybe he miss-typed, although based on the actual bid, I cannot imagine what he might have intended to otherwise type.

Maybe he has enough money he just places a generally insurmountable bid and waits to receive the knife. I know a bidder that does exactly that, but this isn't him.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
patch1

Post by patch1 »

I have this same knife. The only difference is mine has the spey blade instead of the pen blade. The bone is brown with a green tinge. Not near as green as the one on e'bay. According to the Mrs Dewey Ferguson book there are three variations of this pattern. 32249 same blade configuration as mine. 32249G has a punch blade in place of the spey. 32249P has a pen blade in place of the spey.
I think the knife is legit except for the pen blade which could be factory installed, but who knows for sure.
With a 14 day return policy and if you need one for your collection, the most you would be out is the shipping.

Patch1
Attachments
P3030006.JPG
P3030005.JPG
P3030004.JPG
Snowbird Eh?
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Here is a 32245 genuine stag.
Attachments
MVC-210S.JPG
MVC-210S.JPG (36.53 KiB) Viewed 829 times
MVC-211S.JPG
MVC-211S.JPG (37.51 KiB) Viewed 829 times
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The cancelled bid was for this amount, US $11,096.00.

The bidder has a feedback rating over 1100, so he's not a kid or novice bidder.

Maybe he miss-typed, although based on the actual bid, I cannot imagine what he might have intended to otherwise type.

Maybe he has enough money he just places a generally insurmountable bid and waits to receive the knife. I know a bidder that does exactly that, but this isn't him.

Charlie Noyes
He may have meant to bid $110.96. He may have just missed typing the decimal point.
Dave

galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks to all those that posted here. Mike

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”