Case stag 5488 XX

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case stag 5488 XX

Post by btrwtr »

Here is another fake. No pattern number (yes you do find this on early XX knives) coupled with Fat Stag you will not find on an early XX era knife. Bad combination.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-XX-STAG-HA ... 2ecf3a6aeb
Attachments
5488-1.JPG
5488-2.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case stag 5488 XX

Post by knifeaholic »

Yes, and the stag coloring is not right. And most telling, look at the handle pins - sunk below the surface of the stag. That would be correct on later knives (80's and beyond) but in those years the handle pins were spun so the pin head was on the surface with a countersink underneath.

The frame and blades do look to be real Case, so most likely faked out of a 70's 6488.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
msteele6

Re: Case stag 5488 XX

Post by msteele6 »

It's funny, all of the Tested era and before stag handled knives I own (admittedly not very many) have thin stag handles (sometimes almost paper thin). It seems to me that early knife manufacturers seemed to view light weight and thin construction as a virtue, contributing to the ease of carrying what was, after all, a tool in your pocket all day. The aesthetic of modern collectors, on the other hand, seems to favor the thick stag handles you see on the example knife.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”