All About Pocket Knives

All times are UTC

Post subject: The best of the best
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm 

I have to give first prize to this seller. i believe that everyone of his knives is a counterfeit. The handles appear to be old, all of the blades seems to be cold stamped.

Its just that no one would believe that all are fake.

I believe that a large number of old parts from the naponoch heirs were purchased by a person with the initials RS (he is now dead). I am not sure what brands they were. i have not seen a ton of fake Naps.

Catt and queen parts also escaped into the market.

Okay so here is my first prize seller.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/myrtlefaye/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

Post subject: Re: The best of the best
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:15 pm 

He is one of the most well known crooks on E-bay. The amazing MyrtleFake.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 pm 

I woulda had no clue. I'm learning though.

Cold stamped? Does that mean stamped other than the original stamp. After looking closely all of his vintage knives have a crystal clear stamp which would make me scratch my head.

Hard to believe this seller is a faker when he has 100% Pos. feedback. Knot saying that he's knot, just makes me scratch my head.

www.PocketKnivesBlog.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 pm 

What about the Case Bros. Little Valley. Surely there is someone in AARP that can look at that one and let us know. Little over 2 days to go on ebay. I'm very interested in this.

JWW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 pm 

Those two Miller knives he has listed are about as real as this $3 bill ::nod::

Attachments:
3d.jpg
3d.jpg [ 65.82 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]

AAPK Janitor #3607
Read The Jigged Bone Handles
If It Has A Cutting Edge I Probably Collect It

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 pm 

Iron Horder said, "He is one of the most well known crooks on E-bay."

Amen, brother.

This seller consistantly rips people off without the buyers having a clue they are being taken to the cleaners.
He has 18 knives listed currently. I would love to check in hand under magnification.
I'm not sure there is even one legit knife in the bunch! ::td::

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 pm 

TripleF wrote:
Cold stamped? Does that mean stamped other than the original stamp. After looking closely all of his vintage knives have a crystal clear stamp which would make me scratch my head.

As well it should Scott. Cold stamping is just that. At the factory, tang stamps are done then the metal is hot, so the inside of the lettering has a rough texture and a dark appearance. A cold stamp is done to a generic blade or a blade that has had the original stamping ground off and re-stamped while the metal is cold. The result is a stamp that is "crystal clear" as you described. A good way to tell the difference if you have the knife in-hand (sometimes they will use a marker to darken the lettering), is to take a pin or needle and trace the inside of the lettering to feel the bumps that a hot stamped knife should have. If it feels smooth, put it back. ::pray:: I've also noticed that a lot of counterfeiters who make their own blades use stainlless for old Case Tested Era Knives that were never made in stainless steel (maybe kit knives). Others take old blades from inexpensive old brands and "shave" the tang, then re-stamp. If only they would use their powers for good instead of evil. ::facepalm::

A U.S. Veteran is someone who may not agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 pm 

::doh:: Thanks you once again for teaching and sharing your knowledge. I never would have known!! This again and again is why I'm so proud to be a part of AAPK ::super_happy::
-LBW

If you think education is expensive...try funding ignorance !!

AAPK Member # 7436

Member of The Remington Society of America

AKA: aknifesedge
AKA: AREMINGTONSEDGE

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 am 

Being very knew to the study of knives I just list the sellers on my Ebay and stay away. I don't need any knfe and if there is any question I just pass and leave it to the other buyers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:15 am 

I still don't get it. The kind of money these guy's pull down on most of these knives, only comes from dedicated, hardcore collectors. Not just single, high dollar bids or buy it now bids, but multiple bids, from multiple bidders. The kind of people who are members of forums and clubs. Collectors who should be well informed, if not experts in the field. I can understand 1 or maybe even 2 newbies being overzealous and running up the bids, but 20, 30 or in some cases 40 or 50 different bidders!?
I guess what i'm saying is that newbies generally don't spend that kind of scratch on knives or would even be knowledgable of the names represented, and seasoned veterans should know better. So who's buyin' 'em?

WB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 am 

There are a lot of independent collectors in the world who aren't forum members or particularly sociable people either. They just buy what they like and don't think anyone would go to that much trouble to fake something. It just doesn't even occur to them. Although I'm sure there are numerous shill bidders. There are even some people in this world who collect fakes. I know of some coin and money collectors that collect forged notes and coins.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 am 

stuff like this is why im glad im a member of aapk i like the way everybody lets you know about any knife you have in question there is alot of verry smart people here and i want to thank everybody for all the info that they give

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 pm 

i have seen some well known aapk names on other questionable sellers winnings bids. maybe the knives that they won are genuine even tho the seller has a bad reputation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:54 pm 

Look at this one he is selling

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BRIDGE- ... 256d064a51

It`s already up to $150 :shock:

Another questionable knife with a Razor blade and an old time company stamp, look familiar to anyone?

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 30.73 KiB | Viewed 453 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 31.01 KiB | Viewed 453 times ]
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 26.28 KiB | Viewed 453 times ]

AAPK Janitor #3607
Read The Jigged Bone Handles
If It Has A Cutting Edge I Probably Collect It

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:59 pm 

I did a search of this sellers past feedbacks, as well as the feedbacks for Mr. Red Background. These guys have thousands of positive feedbacks from obviously top notch collectors. (ironically Mr. Myrtyle even has positive feedback from Mr. Red ::facepalm:: )
We've all heard the saying, You can fool all of the people, some of the time, and...so on.
That rule does not seem to apply to these guys. There was even one feedback that said, "not sure it's real, looks kinda odd", but it was still a positive feedback. :shock: Helloooo...?!
I still say these guys should be playing the lotto, they're a couple of the luckiest SOB's i've ever seen. I guess maybe sooner or later they'll get their come-up-ence. But, if you ask me, they're both long overdo.
I'm actually tempted to buy one of their fakes, just so I can land'em with their first negative.

WB