The best of the best

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Elvis

Re: The best of the best

Post by Elvis »

[quote="Miller Bros] Another thing to note while we are on the subject, there were companies like Eagle that bought factory seconds, either ground off the tang stamp themselves or bought them with the tang stamp removed, and re-stamped their name on the tangs, all done after the heat treating process. Most people think the tang is too hard and cannot be stamped after the hardening process, this is untrue, they can and were stamped after being hardened.[/quote]

I agree. I can only attest to what I've seen at the Case Factory, but using the process they now use, the tang area doesn't receive the full heat treatment that the rest of the blade does (it sticks out of the machine as it revolves around the heat source). I'm sure that leaves it a bit softer and quite stampable. Even if the full blade received the heat treating, it would just mean the stamps would wear out faster. I'm sure a high pressure press could still get the job done. Also, talking to Steve the other day, it appears even Case didn't always stamp their blades prior to heat treating as they do today.

Just goes to show ya.....there's always more to learn.
celluloidheros

Re: The best of the best

Post by celluloidheros »

Thanks, DC

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”