Vintage Remington knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Forensic Jim

Vintage Remington knife?

Post by Forensic Jim »

Ebay item #200547237951, listed as, Vintage Remington UMC 4" 1924-1933 N/M R393 knife. I think this seller is mistaken after looking at the Remington name engraved on the blade. Looks like a new knife to me.
RIP Johnnie Rotten

So far, so good...So What!!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vintage Remington knife?

Post by knifeaholic »

It is an older knife not a new repro....

However that blade etch looks to have been recently done and is definitely not original.

Two guesses...an original Remington that has been cleaned/buffed and newly etched. Or an older Pal Cutlery knife remarked to make it a Remington.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

R393 - seller says 4", Price and Zalesky say 3 3/8".
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
ole_muddy

Post by ole_muddy »

The etch isn't actually an etch. It's been engraved with an electric pencil/pantograph. I'd guess the tang markings and number stamping were done the same way. This seemed to be a popular method of fakery around 20-25 years ago and I have seen other knives in the past similarly marked. It is an old knife and could have been made by a variety of makers including Camillus and Imperial to go along with Pal.

I remember seeing a real nice old Schrade Cut Co jack knife that some idiot had done this to and I believe that was in 1994 at a NKCA show in Springfield, Mo. Since I had one of his books, I asked the seller if I could show it to Jim Sargent, who was exhibiting his wares there. The first thing out of Jim's mouth was, "That's a nice-looking Schrade" and that was before he opened a blade. That was back when I was still in the "educational stage" of the knife hobby and it made me all the more aware of the necessity to become as informed as possible about the various methods of trickery used by the crooks. The best advice I can give to the beginners is to deal with people in the knife business that you know and trust and who will stand behind what they sell.

Since sportcolbs has been the subject of countless other comments on his stuff, I don't think I need say more here.

Eric
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

The knife looks almost exactly like a Pal that I own. Of course, Pal bought Remington's equipment when Remington went out of business so this knife may very well be a clone of a Remington 393. The thing that reminds me particularly of Pal is the bone, especially its coloration.

By the way, the confusion with the 4" dimension given in the seller's description is due to the fact that the description is for a muskrat. Probably a knife he also has listed on Ebay.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The pivot pin is visable on both sides of the bolster.

The blades appear to be Stainless Steel.
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”