Another FAKE Case Bros. Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
msteele6

Re: Another FAKE Case Bros. Knife

Post by msteele6 »

-

I don't think that anyone is scared, cowed, regretful, or overly deferential, it's just that the subject has been talked to death. Most of the people who post on this site followed the discussion on Mr. Levines board when it took place, and there's really little left to say.

I have purchased three knives from Mr. Van Winkle, of the three, I believe that two were all original, the third one had been "repaired" in my opinion. I often look at the knives he has for sale on Ebay and frequently see knives that I believe are original, the only problem with that is, if you don't have the knife in your hand, there are many things you can't see. One thing I believe is true, many of his knives have been cleaned, but of course that can also be said of many other Ebay sellers.

-
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

IN regards to Mr Bush's response, the questions I have about Mr Van Winkle are;

1. Has Mr Van Winkle ever stated the fact that some of his knives have had blades replaced, repaired, or re-welded?
2. Has Mr Van Winkle ever stated that he has made "fantasy knives" out of parts and then described them as such?
3. Has Mr Van Winkle ever stated that because he has "cleaned up" a knife by removing enough metal to make the knife weigh considerable less than it did
when he started his "restoration" that the collector value of the knife was considerably diminished even though it looked nice?

I am relatively new to this game. I have not followed this man since Mr Levine called him out back in 2000 or 2001. I have seen knives that he has posted and advertised that were, according to far more knowledgeable people than myself, less than they were purported to be. It is also my opinion that if he does not give all the facts up front, rather than just a few juicy tidbits, then he is misrepresenting his products.

With regards to the knife posted that started this thread, Mr Van Winkle stated;
This knife measures 4 3/8". The redbone scales are nice, there is a pin crack above the lock pin on the back side, no other problems that I could see. The shield bolsters & guards are n.silver with brass liners. This knife is as crisp and tight as you'll ever find them. When in place the guards seem as though they're a part of the bolsters. The blade, pins and edges have not been finished out. The blade locks up tight but since the blade is still full width top to bottom there is no snap yet, it's too snug in the frame. Finished out this would make a nice Case, unfinished condition a little harder to find. I'd call this a factory second factory. I know it's a newer knife but I can't date it for sure. Interesting knife. Good luck.
"Finished out this would make a nice Case," . I don't think it would be a nice Case unless it was made within the confines of the Case factory. Finished out, it would be a knife with Case markings and parts. He prefers to call this a "factory second". Does Case normally let "unfinished seconds" out the door for any one to play with?

I have no idea how he conducts his business if a buyer is dissatisfied with a purchase. I see nothing in his ad that says words to the effect that if it isn't what he said, he would make it good. His feedback on ebay is exemplary. I find that interesting and makes me wonder if he is as unscrupulous as some think him to be.

Based on what I have seen here and elsewhere, I will not purchase anything from him without an ironclad guarantee that his product is what he represented it to be and upon final inspection of a knife in hand that I be satisfied.

Caveat Emptor

I'll go stand in my corner now. ::hmm::
Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
TrentRock

Post by TrentRock »

Owd Wullie wrote: His feedback on ebay is exemplary. I find that interesting and makes me wonder if he is as unscrupulous as some think him to be.
maybe he is good at making people think they got a "good" knife
All the EBAY feedback says is he is good at fooling 100% of the people

I agree though
I think he does have a FEW legit knives
It's a crap shoot..IMHO
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Jim Bush wrote:I'm having a hard time believing that an entire day has gone by, and there has not been one comment on this last letter. Either everyone has been scared off of the subject, cowed into silence, regretful of previous posts, or they agree with the author. What is it? I for one feel that if the man was once a counterfeiter, and so many of you once did, what is different now? Are all of you backing away from your previous positions, or just being silent in deference to Mr. Levine? Speak up!!!!
Jim,
You have gotten some comments now!!
I posted this letter as it was e-mailed to me from a posting on Blade Forum, I am not a member there and do not have access to the whole discussion that took place.

However, I have been watching this guy for many years on e-bay. I have seen him buy damaged knives from e-bay that had broken blades, missing handles, worn out, etc. Some of these knives were made by very rare makers, rare patterns, etc. After a short period of time they would turn up for sale in amazing condition. The broken blades were now like new again, handle material replaced, whatever was damaged was now repaired and the knife looked real good.

This man calls it a "restoration", thats fine, but not once did I ever see in his description any mention of the problems the knife had when he received it. That is where I have a problem, and this is where you draw a line between honest and dishonest.

I agree with what Willie said, If he does not give all the facts about the knives he is selling up front, then he is misrepresenting his products.

Now to his feedback, I believe the feeedback is for the current year, not from the time he started selling on e-bay. If you went through all his feedback, I am sure there must be some dissatisfied buyers. Still, there must be lots of foolish, uninformed buyers that are purchasing his knives and they either don`t know the knife is fake, repaired, a fantasy, etc.

Sure he must be selling some honest legetimate knives that are original and have not been touched, but can you tell which ones they are?? Would you take the risk of spending hundreds of dollars believing the knife is real, only to one day find it is a cobbled together fake.

Caveat Emptor or Buyer Beware is an understatement!!

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
TrentRock

Post by TrentRock »

Mr. Van Winkle in action
So what is it?
A Hammwalden?
Hammer Knife Co.?
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Trent,

Hammer Brand was a trade mark used by N.Y. Knife co.

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Concerning the original post. For a talk piece if that's what you want then OK. Beyond that even if the parts are legimate then I'm sure you'll have to concede that the assembly is not legimate. I would not recognize it as a Case, and I feel sure if you were to ask Wr Case they wouldn't either JMO

B-R
Listen with your eyes, it's the only way you can believe what you hear.
TrentRock

Post by TrentRock »

MILLER BRO`S wrote:Trent,

Hammer Brand was a trade mark used by N.Y. Knife co.

M.B.
I have Hammer Brand and it doesn't say NY Knife Company
I'll look and double check
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

TrentRock wrote:I have Hammer Brand and it doesn't say NY Knife Company
After N.Y Knife went out of business Imperial Knife Co. acquired the name and used this stamp
"Hammer Brand" on their cheap shell handle knives.

These knives have no association with the original N.Y. knife Co.

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
TrentRock

Post by TrentRock »

MILLER BRO`S wrote:
TrentRock wrote:I have Hammer Brand and it doesn't say NY Knife Company
After N.Y Knife went out of business Imperial Knife Co. acquired the name and used this stamp
"Hammer Brand" on their cheap shell handle knives.

These knives have no association with the original N.Y. knife Co.

M.B.
yEah
Mine are Imperial
I'm a cheapo!!!
I still like Imperials though.................... :oops:

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”