Camillus Pilot Knife

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Toejammer

Camillus Pilot Knife

Post by Toejammer »

Well, here it is. Not finished completely as I'd like to add a little more contour on the handle belly. The handle is walnut with an oak "skunk stripe" and I tried some micarta spacers too. I might do some carving or stud work on the handle, haven't decided.

But here's the question: Is the handle too big ? It feels good in the hand, but sitting on the bench it looks massive compared to the blade. I'm making it for my step son's birthday, and he's a big kid, so I figured it wouldn't seem a hand full to him. I was thinking about 3/4" off the back end, then reshape it to match. Let me know, honestly. And tell me if my grind sucks or not too lol !

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus Pilot Knife

Post by gsmith7158 »

Looks pretty doggone good to me! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

I feel it looks great !!! Whats the difference how the handle looks
vs the blade size when it fits someones hand in the handle,
ya do not hold the blade, ya just cut with it
I think thats a lucky kid to get a knife with all that love put into it !!!

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Okay, you said be honest so here it is.

Overall, the knife looks really nice and appears to be well built. Now the handle. Compared to the blade, it looks a little big, however, it could very well be an exact fit for the new owner. People's hands are different in many ways so it could work out fine as is, and even if it doesn't, I'm certain you possess the necessary skills to configure it to fit his hands perfectly.

Therefore, I'd say that knife is going to make someone very happy indeed!! Well done!! ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably take a wee bit off the back, and try to align the top of the handle more with the spine of the blade. Thats the part thats freakin me out, it just looks "weird" to me ! :-?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I like a longer handle on a FB knife. I think the length is fine what is throwing you off is the width of the guard it may be a little too big if you narrowed it down I think it would change the looks considerably. ::tu::
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”