TL-29 with purty new handles

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Toejammer

TL-29 with purty new handles

Post by Toejammer »

First try after a couple years off. Not too bad for a one eyed fat man, but it could have been better. Tried using micarta liners and some minor file work.The bone is RJB - Sunset from Culpepper, I had no idea it would take the pattern it did. Almost looks like a flame job ! :mrgreen:

I'm still not big on polishing, as most of my converts get carried anyways. But I do need to work on my peening, or get a pin spinner. (Dale, wasn't there a "how to" on making your own spinner somewhere on the forums ? I've searched and can't find it)

Also, anyone have any tricks for getting that micarta off the inner liners when you sand it ? Everytime I would sand, the micarta seemed to roll over the brass liners. Drove me nutz. I finally had to use a razor blade to scrape the micarta off so both the liners would show through.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
#goldpan

Re: TL-29 with purty new handles

Post by #goldpan »

I think it looks awesome! I would try wet and dry sandpaper. Maybe start with a 600 grit and work up to a 1200 if you want it shine. The 600 grit will get it off with a minimum amount of metal loss. Good job! ::tu:: ::tu::
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

That is a Beauty! And that sunset bone is stunning ::tu::
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Very nice! It is beautiful! Put that in a shadow box and admire it.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Good stuff, I like the liners!
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Thanks guys !

First finished knife off the bench in a few years, so there are some points I definitely need to work on. The file work turned out ok, but I've got gaps in those spacers, drives me nutz. And I thought I had the bolster / blade pin peened good, but it's not holding as well as I like. Might have to re-pin the blade and try again.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That sunset bone really can give you a surprise sometimes in the way it finishes up.
Nice work! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”