From obscure history and the dust of it's project bin it appears...

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Darksev

From obscure history and the dust of it's project bin it appears...

Post by Darksev »

Hello again!
I've been thinking about you all recently as I've been digging around AAPK alot in the last few weeks (I "caught a bug" and I'm working on a collection project for a change, not a customization one!). To say I've not been participating here would be the understatement of the decade, but I can honestly say that even though I don't say anything, I probably end up on AAPK once a week because I know the information I'm hunting for is here and it's more than likely correct, lol. Lately I spend most of my social media time on Instagram (a.severa, if you're interested) because it's easy to be lazy there. 2 seconds to snap a photo and throw a couple lines of commentary... double tap to "like" :lol: .

For anyone who doesn't remember me, or is newer than my "good old days" of being on here every waking hour, I'm Adam and I'm a cutlery addict and self taught, AAPK-inspired modifier, customizer, collector and thing maker.

Despite my absence here, I have been keeping busy. I have done some sculpture work, started a line of pocket tools, done some jewelry casting, and of course, customized a few knives here and there. Here's a few that you may find interesting or nice to look at from the last while:

Western 901 camp knife with linen micarta covers, fileworked backspacer (901's have this HUGE thick brass spacer. It BEGS to be carved on!) and big 'ol rat tails on the bolsters.
western_camper_open.jpg
western_camper.jpg
western_camper_filework.jpg
western_camper_macro2.jpg
After Chuck Buck's passing, I realized I didn't have any Buck knives in my collection and I was saddened by the fact. I did, however, have an old script 703 in my project bin with a broken spring on the secondary blades, and a block 703 I had bought for parts (before I discovered the 2 to 3 spring conversion. duh). I pulled them apart and did a nice pair, the script was stripped down to the only usable spring and rebuilt as a shadow pattern with a sodbuster style pivot and ivory micarta, the block 703 was done as a shadow pattern in black linen micarta.
buck703_pair.jpg
I also rebuilt a Schrade 204 linemans knife. This was a full rebuild with new, thick nickel silver liners, soldered extended copper/nickel mokume bolsters and some 5000 year old, stabilized bog oak covers. The blade was cleaned up, then stonewashed in a tumbler with some fine ceramic media giving it this milky, hazy kind of polish.
schrade204_open.jpg
schrade204_side.jpg
Copper/Nickel Mokume ages really well!
schrade204_patina.jpg
For the "modern" knife lovers, I toyed around with some titanium scales for my Emerson Mini-A100 as well. After a few months of experimentation and testing, I'd come up with a way to emulate woodgrain textures pretty convincingly.
woodgrain_a100_open.jpg
woodgrain_a100.jpg
The end result, through carving, blasting, tumbling and polishing, makes for something that is extremely "fondle-able" and reminds me of the "feel" you get from some nice, well done jigging.

I have another big one to show off, but it really deserves it's own thread, so I'll leave this here for now :)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: From obscure history and the dust of it's project bin it appears...

Post by jerryd6818 »

Adam, it's always a pleasure to "see" your face around here and that's some fine looking cutlery you've been turning out.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Hello Adam, It's good to see you and even better to see you are still building some very nice knives... ::tu::

I love what you did with the Western camp knife...that's a knife I'd brag on.

Do you remember this one....I will use it one day...I really will...

Bob
Attachments
UL 009.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

I do Bob!

To date that's still one of my favourites! When I try to explain to people what I mean by customized, and I don't have something on my person, that's one of my go-to photo examples. That's one of only two times I worked with CF, so consider yourself lucky :mrgreen: . I like the looks of it, but that's about it lol. It's nasty to work with... very unhealthy dust, finishing is a pain, voids you have to deal with, and oh the tiny glass splinters for days afterwords... I have a little sheet of LVA in my materials bin, it's been there for like 2 years. I just don't wanna touch it :lol:
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Good to see you around. I have always admired your work, you have a great eye for materials and design!
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

flawless execution as usual. nice to see you back ::tu::
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Adam it's great to see you participating here again. I'm impressed with all the knives you've posted on this thread, but that Western Camp Knife is special. I really, really like what you've done with it. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Awesome work Adam!
Glad to see you posting again. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”