Gettin started--first build

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
PigSticker

Gettin started--first build

Post by PigSticker »

Busted down this Ulster TL-29 the other morning and gonna try rehandling it don't have a clue what I'll use on it yet guess it'll be something kinda cheap for the first try but figured I'd get a couple pic's of it as I go with the new camera.
This thing looked like it had been in a fire when I started handles melted and charged-think I'll try and do a little file work on the spring and see how I'll do seein how I'll have a backup if I screw it up.
Warning: That's a big ass pic if you click on it think I need to figure out how to down size on my next shots
Attachments
003.JPG
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Gettin started--first build

Post by orvet »

Ya' got a real nice blank canvas and it will look better than you think it will.

Have fun! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Like Dale said, those are pretty easy to work with. Even I can do it! :mrgreen:

Good luck.

Glenn
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Boy---tried some filing this morning on a Camilus spring i had from a gassed out old knife-just like I've read Practice practice practice-------think I'll forget about any file work on the first one-tried taking a pic but that didn't turn out either anyway gotta order me something for scales just haven't decided on what's gonna be the most forgiving yet--I've got a pile of these things all different makes and condition to practice on so I ain't gonna swet it.
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

PigSticker wrote:Boy---tried some filing this morning on a Camilus spring i had from a gassed out old knife-just like I've read Practice practice practice-------think I'll forget about any file work on the first one-tried taking a pic but that didn't turn out either anyway gotta order me something for scales just haven't decided on what's gonna be the most forgiving yet--I've got a pile of these things all different makes and condition to practice on so I ain't gonna swet it.
Well, at least you tried it. I'm too scared to try it. ::undecided::

Glenn
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

I seen those TL's you did Glen they looked great--Here's a crappy pic of that Camilus spring--I'm gonna get some new files and give it another try-my biggest problem was the vice I had it clamped in and poor lighting next try I'll clamp it in my big vice and have some fresh files and better light on that end of my bench
Attachments
014.JPG
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I don’t waste my time anymore on cheap files!
I buy Grobet files, (Swiss made). I would rather use the cheaper and readily available US made Nichols files, but they are too soft. I am lucky to be able to file 3 individual backsprings with a $5-$6 Nichols file. I have a $16 Grobet that has flied 25+ backsprings and is still good and sharp.
I figure that figures out cost wise to be about $2 per backspring with Nichols files and about $0.65 to use the Grobet files. Besides being cheaper they cut cleaner and more accurately with fewer slips, which means a lot less work to shine up the filework when I am finished.

A good hand vise like this one, clamped in a bench vise makes it much easier to do the filework without hitting the vise with the file:
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/index.php? ... ts_id=2208

Good lighting is a MUST for me as well as magnifying glasses. :roll:
All these things make it much easier, faster and the quality of my work is much better.

Here is a work-in-progress of rope filework. Notice there are not a lot of scratches in the file cuts.
I don't get that with cheaper files. Of course the the backsprings are buffed after filing, but buffing won't remove scratches left by a file.
Attachments
rope filework.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

singin46

Post by singin46 »

Lookin good pigsticker! I could never do this, my hands are way to shaky.
Love all Jacks
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Oh man I knew that spring looked bad yours looks real nice Dale--Tell you what I don't think I've ever bought a new file just grab a box of garage sale junk and bring home--I'll get this back together and keep it simple for now I still gotta get handle material ordered.
Far as shaky hands I did that while I was drinkin my morning coffees think next try will be afternoon beer.
I've got a manual on pocket knife repair coming that my wife ordered Sat. looking forward to that showing up hope it wasn't a waste of$$
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
268bull

Post by 268bull »

You fellas may want to consider trying to have your files re - sharpened. Realizing that your handling small files, it's probably only cost effective to have a rather large handful to be sent in. There is a saw sharpening shop here in Oregon I have re - sharpen my bigger hand files, works out well. Can't say however, that they would sharpen the smaller files used on pocket knives. Just a thought though. ::tu:: Dale H.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

268bull wrote:have your files re - sharpened. Dale H.
I have to say I have never heard of files being resharpened.
I wonder how it's done.

Good luck with you project, PigSticker.
Joe
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

FRJ wrote:
268bull wrote:have your files re - sharpened. Dale H.
I have to say I have never heard of files being resharpened.
I wonder how it's done.

Good luck with you project, PigSticker.
acid I believe
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
268bull

Post by 268bull »

::tu:: Joe, M.M., Good morning from Oregon. Aftr about 13 hrs. yesterday of air terminals & planes, I'm back home to Oregon. I came across this saw shop, located in Albany, Oregon, while I was still doing new home construction. I had been working along side a tile setter / counter - top laminate installer and he had been getting his files & chisels re - sharpened by this saw blade shop. I don't know his procedure, but those puppies came back sharper than a new file. Also, I want to re - iterate, don't know if he would handle the smaller files you fellas' use. I know the shop is in business still, as he sharpens many of the valley's saw mill blades as well as practically any other saw blade taken in ( and obviously hand files too ). Was just offering up the thought. Have a good one. ::tu:: Dale H.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Dale,
Do you know the name?
There are a couple places in Albany; D & M Saw & Mfg. on Commercial Way and L & R Saw & Supply on Queen Ave.

Does the name or location sound right for either of them?
I am only about 20 miles away from Albany.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

268bull

Post by 268bull »

It's the shop on Commercial Way. Dale H.

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”